Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Week 3: June 26, 2012

Wow... Tuesday's come up way too fast! So here we are with another week of cupcake. But first, I wanted to mention Tristan's friend, Alex's birthday party. On Saturday, Tristan, Jason, and myself, went to see the movie Brave (very cute movie) and ran into Alex and his family afterwards. Alex's dad, George, had mentioned that Coach Nikos had asked if I was making cupcakes again! That was a compliment in itself, so I felt that I needed to do some more! I baked some really good ones (those are next weeks) and I got so many compliments on them! I just wanted to say thank you to all of the kids and parents at the party! I would absolutely love to have my own business one day, and this group of people are all for that! :) Again, thank you! Ok, so now back to this week... My plan was to do a bomb pop flavor (yes, like the red, white, and blue popsicle). After really thinking about it, I realized, there are 3 different flavors to that cupcake. Lemon-lime, blue raspberry, and cherry. So instead, I took two of those flavors and made a really yummy cupcake! So here it is.... Lemon Lime Surprise! (That's what I've decided to name this one)



Lemon Lime Suprise!
Makes 12 cupcakes (Yes, 12 cupcakes! First time I've ever gotten the right amount)
 
Ingredients:

6 T. vegetable oil
3/4 c. sugar
2 T. lemon zest (2 lemons. I only had 1 lemon, so I did 1 T. lemon zest and 1 T. lemon juice)
1/2 t. salt
1 T. lime zest (1 lime)
1 T. lime juice (half of the lime)
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 c. milk, at room temperature


1. Preheat oven to 375F.  Line pan with liners. 
2. Beat together oil, sugar, lemon zest, lime zest, and salt for about 2 minutes. 
3. Beat in the lime juice (and lemon juice); then the eggs, one at a time, for about 2 minutes. 
4. In a separate bowl, mix together flour and baking powder. 
5. At a low speed, add the flour mixture 1/3 at a time, alternating with 2 additions of the milk; mix until blended (about 30 seconds)
6. Fill the liners 2/3 full with the cake batter. 
7. Bake between 16-20 minutes (20 for me). 
8. Let cool in the pan for five minutes, then transfer to wire rack. 

"Surprise" Step

Mix 1 c. boiling water with 1 package of raspberry flavored gelatin. (I just put the water in a coffee mug and microwaved it for 3 minutes) After the cupcakes have cooled completely, poke holes in them. Then take a spoon and very slowly pour the gelatin mix onto the cupcakes (that would be why there is some red in the cupcake). 

Whipped Cream "Frosting"
(This is basically whipped cream)

Ingredients: 

3 c. heavy or whipping cream (I did heavy whipping cream)
5 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract

1. Chill the bowl and hand mixer attachments in the freezer for about 15 minutes (perfect to do while you're doing the surprise step). 
2. Pour heavy cream into the bowl and mix on medium high speed until it starts to thicken, about 2 minutes.
3. Slow the speed down and gradually pour in the sugar (I just put each T. in one at a time)
4. Add the vanilla extract and continue to whisk by hand until the cream is smooth and stiff peaks form. 
(5. Chill the cream for at least 15 minutes before you top your cupcakes - yes this is my suggestion). 

               (I'm very excited to say that I made whipped cream by hand! And with the recipe I 
        gave you, there's plenty for the cupcakes and extra for maybe dipping some fruits. Yummy!)

                         (I love the look of the gelatin dripping down! It looks like blood! 
                               You could almost do something like this for Halloween!)



Kristin's Review:  Wow, this cupcake is good! I actually really loved it! It's so refreshing and light! I could have eaten 5 of them! I think the next time I make these, I might do a different whipped cream frosting. The frosting I made was literally homemade whipped cream. It's really good, don't get me wrong, but something a little heavier would be good too. Of course, this is the first week that I only did one dozen instead of two :( That's probably a good thing though :) I would definitely give this cupcake 4.5 sprinkles out of 5 (yes, there are that good)! 

So, for the next 2 weeks, it's going to be a little hectic for me! Next week, I'm going back up to WI for a night to drop off my pooch with my parents, so I won't be baking. ::: Passes tissue ::: Don't get too worried though, I have a couple of recipes on stand by for the days I can't bake.   :) 

Until next week...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment