Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Week 2: June 19, 2012

Happy Tuesday Everyone! 

So here's my week two flavor: Strawberry Lemonade! This was an interesting one... I kind of just made up what I did. I've got a few more pictures of what everything looked like as I was making them also. 


Lemonade Cupcakes:
Makes 24 cupcakes (for me, it was more like 30)

Ingredients

4 sticks butter, softened
1 1/2 c. flavored lemonade mix (like Countrytime, but I used the Wal-Mart version)
4 eggs
3 t. vanilla extract
3 t. lemon juice
3 c. all purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 c. milk 


1. Preheat oven to 350F and line your cupcake tin with liners.
2. Cream butter and lemonade mix until smooth. 
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one. 
4. Stir in vanilla and lemon juice. 
5. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. 
6. Add dry ingredients 1/3 at a time, alternating with the milk. 
7. Pour into liners and bake for 18-24 minutes (22 minutes for mine).


                                    They looked great out of the oven, but then...

                                               they sunk to about halfway :(


Strawberry Frosting:
Perfect amount for the Lemonade Cupcake recipe


Ingredients


1 c. frozen strawberries, thawed
4 sticks butter, softened
pinch of salt 
6 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla extract

1. Puree strawberries in a blender or food processor.    (I do not have either of those... I think I lost my blender in the move to IL. So I used my hand mixer. I smooshed them the mixer a lot. Once they were pretty mushy, I turned the mixer on. It worked really well.)
2. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and salt until fluffy. 
3. Slowly add the powdered sugar (I did 2 cups at a time).
4. Add vanilla and 1/2 c. of pureed strawberries (save the rest for something else if you like). Mix until well blended. 

(I actually mixed in the strawberries and vanilla before I did the powdered sugar. It turned out just fine. The consistency is a little thicker... it looks like strawberry ice cream in the bowl) 


Decorate as you see fit. I think they would look great with a bent straw and the little umbrella sticking out. I don't have anywhere to set them out on display, so I only did the umbrella on the one for pictures.  





Kristin's Review:  The strawberry frosting is fantastic! The lemonade cupcakes are pretty tart. If I make these again, I will do half sugar, half lemonade mix and probably 1 t. lemon juice. I'm wondering if that's whey the consistency is like it is (very soft and moist). Overall though, they are quite good. I'd give them 3 sprinkles out of five :)


If you try them at home, let me know how you like them :) 


Until next week!

1 comment:

  1. Super cute Kristin!!! Can't wait to try some if these flavors out myself :)

    ReplyDelete